Skip to main content

Tesla and Hilton Hotels announce 20,000 EV chargers at 2000 Hilton locations in North America

As a follow up to my recent article on how to charge your Tesla for free, I just saw that Tesla and Hilton announced a partnership to install 20,000 chargers at 2000 Hilton locations in North America. In my other article I was describing how level 2 destination chargers are a great way for businesses to attract and retain customers. They usually offer charging for free if the customers buy/use their services (lodging) or products (food, etc. ). It is interesting that Hilton will use the new Tesla "Universal Wall Connector". This wall connector supports both charging standards, the Tesla North American Charging Standard (NACS) and the J1772 adapter - making it very easy to charge Tesla and non-Tesla EV's.

I am planning a business trip and actually will stay at a Hilton in the next few months. It looks like the partnership will start in 2024, but I am interested if the place I selected already offers charging and what type of charger they offer. 

With the increasing adoption rate of EV's there will be many more large chains (hotels, restaurants, retail, etc.) that will announce charging infrastructure in the new future. Doing this now will provide a competitive advantage to these businesses. In a few years, they need to have it to stay relevant and stay in business. It was Free-cable-TV in the 80s, then free-WIFI in the 2000, and going forward from now it will be free or at least convenient EV charging!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Price Reduction for Model Y

Beginning of a new quarter and Tesla has reduced prices for Model 3 and Model Y (again). The Long Range Model Y is $2,000 cheaper and now costs $48,490 (before it was $50,490). Again, with a potential IRA federal tax credit of $7,500 this gets close to $40k for a medium sized luxury SUV. Tesla also introduced a new RWD (rear wheel drive) Model Y with 270 miles of range for $43,990. With the tax credit this moves towards $35k. Prices were also reduced for the Model 3.  Well, just like many others, I bought my Model Y at a higher price a while back. But I consider this as something that was expected. For one, Tesla tries to make the cars cheaper so that more people can afford an EV, and second, new technology (remember iPhone) is first more expensive with prices coming down over time. Well, Apple seems to go the other way now, since more phones cost close to $1,000, but that is a different story. So, since I have bought my Model Y for the long-term (10 years) I don't worry too much a

Cargo Liner for Tesla Model Y trunk

Because I have to transport stuff for my work, I decided to get a cargo liner for the trunk of my Model Y. It is kind of funny and similar to a phone case - you have this beautiful iPhone (machined and polished metal and glass) and then you cover it with plastic case. But I have to say that the cargo liner is not just protecting the cargo area, but also it makes it so much easier to clean the trunk. You can just remove the cargo liner, fold it up, and then "empty it out". The dirt, sand and other debris just falls out when you shake it a bit. Then you just put it back. You can also vacuum on a flat surface if necessary.  How did I decide on the cargo liner? Well, I looked a the Tesla accessory vendors (Tesmanian, Teslarati, EV Base, etc.) and also at Amazon. When comparing I was looking at size, material, 60/40 split and price. I was aiming for a price of less than $100. Amazon had low price offerings, but they seemed a bit flimsy.  Other vendors were more expensive. By readi

Charging Options for my Tesla Model Y

Many people that are not familiar with EVs still consider "range anxiety" as something to worry about when owning an electric vehicle. Of course, there is a bit more planning involved in road-tripping with an EV, but that is not necessarily bad since you have to take breaks anyway. But, let's first discuss the various charing options and how I use them: Home charging: The advantage of an EV is that you can charge it at home (if you have a place to park within 20 feet of electricity) and no need to spend time at gas stations for daily driving. There are three options for charging a Tesla at home using Tesla equipment (there are other home chargers that I don't discuss here) Wall Connector: This connector has to be installed by an electrician, requires 240V/48Amp and delivers up to 44 miles per hour. It costs $475 plus installation. There is a new variant "Universal Wall Connector" that has a connector for non-Teslas. Great if you have different brand EVs.  M