Skip to main content

Why I bought a Tesla Model Y and why I waited so long

Why did I buy a Model Y?

There are many reasons for deciding on a Model Y, and there will be probably more after driving it for a while, but it comes down to a few top reasons:

  • It's an EV: If I ever spend money on a NEW car (all my previous cars had been used) it had to be a a model that supports sustainable energy.
  • It's the whole package: Tesla not only builds great cars, but also delivers total freedom with the Supercharger Network. Tesla navigation just tells you where to go and you just plug in to charge. Also, the seamless integration of hardware (the car) and software (the screen, the audio, etc.) makes this car not only a great driving experience, but it also continously gets more features through software updates - just like an old iPhone gets more features through a new IOS.
  • It's fun: It's sporty, it's fast, it's efficient, it's comfortable, it's quiet - it is amazing to drive. If you have not driven a Tesla, do it - there are free test drives available. 
  • It's roomy: For a not too big of a car, the Model Y offers a lot of room inside the cabin and in the cargo area. It as a big frunk (trunk in the front), a big trunk with additional space, foldable seats, etc. Perfect for cargo, camping and even sleeping in the car. 
  • It's a great value: Even though the price seems higher than other cars (Honda, Toyota, etc) you have to consider the life-time value of an EV, and especially of a Tesla. Tesla's last a long time, there are Model S car that have 500,000 miles, and they need almost no maintenance. No oil changes, no transmission fluids, spark plugs, etc. If you use regenerative braking (electric motor slows down the car while also charging the battery), you might never need to replace the brakes (pads and/or disc).


Why did I wait so long?

Obviously, the primary reason for waiting is money. But even if I would have had the funds, I would have waited because I didn't really need it a couple of years ago. I had a Honda Element which was perfect. I also like to let new products "mature" a bit until the manufacturer works out all the little issues. I was also considering a Model 3 earlier, but I decided to wait for a Model Y because it provides way more cargo room for hauling stuff, camping, bike, etc.


Why now?

Well, the prices came down over the last six months, by a lot. Back in 2022, the Long Range Model Y was priced around $65k, now in August 2023 it is around $50k and Tesla offers a referral discount of $500 and a 3-month free trial of FSD (Full Self Driving), which I took advantage of. In addition, I noticed that inventory cars are further discounted. So, I monitored the inventory on the Tesla website until I found the car configuration I wanted and saved another $520 - that makes a total of $1020 in savings.  If you are in the market for a Tesla, make sure to use a referral link from a friend, or you can use my Tesla Referral link to get $250 off for a new Tesla (promotion might expire - please check the Tesla website when you click the link). 



If you have more questions, please check out one of my other blog posts that talks about What questions to ask when buying a Tesla or any EV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Price Reduction for Model Y

Beginning of a new quarter and Tesla has reduced prices for Model 3 and Model Y (again). The Long Range Model Y is $2,000 cheaper and now costs $48,490 (before it was $50,490). Again, with a potential IRA federal tax credit of $7,500 this gets close to $40k for a medium sized luxury SUV. Tesla also introduced a new RWD (rear wheel drive) Model Y with 270 miles of range for $43,990. With the tax credit this moves towards $35k. Prices were also reduced for the Model 3.  Well, just like many others, I bought my Model Y at a higher price a while back. But I consider this as something that was expected. For one, Tesla tries to make the cars cheaper so that more people can afford an EV, and second, new technology (remember iPhone) is first more expensive with prices coming down over time. Well, Apple seems to go the other way now, since more phones cost close to $1,000, but that is a different story. So, since I have bought my Model Y for the long-term (10 years) I don't worry too much a

Cargo Liner for Tesla Model Y trunk

Because I have to transport stuff for my work, I decided to get a cargo liner for the trunk of my Model Y. It is kind of funny and similar to a phone case - you have this beautiful iPhone (machined and polished metal and glass) and then you cover it with plastic case. But I have to say that the cargo liner is not just protecting the cargo area, but also it makes it so much easier to clean the trunk. You can just remove the cargo liner, fold it up, and then "empty it out". The dirt, sand and other debris just falls out when you shake it a bit. Then you just put it back. You can also vacuum on a flat surface if necessary.  How did I decide on the cargo liner? Well, I looked a the Tesla accessory vendors (Tesmanian, Teslarati, EV Base, etc.) and also at Amazon. When comparing I was looking at size, material, 60/40 split and price. I was aiming for a price of less than $100. Amazon had low price offerings, but they seemed a bit flimsy.  Other vendors were more expensive. By readi

Charging Options for my Tesla Model Y

Many people that are not familiar with EVs still consider "range anxiety" as something to worry about when owning an electric vehicle. Of course, there is a bit more planning involved in road-tripping with an EV, but that is not necessarily bad since you have to take breaks anyway. But, let's first discuss the various charing options and how I use them: Home charging: The advantage of an EV is that you can charge it at home (if you have a place to park within 20 feet of electricity) and no need to spend time at gas stations for daily driving. There are three options for charging a Tesla at home using Tesla equipment (there are other home chargers that I don't discuss here) Wall Connector: This connector has to be installed by an electrician, requires 240V/48Amp and delivers up to 44 miles per hour. It costs $475 plus installation. There is a new variant "Universal Wall Connector" that has a connector for non-Teslas. Great if you have different brand EVs.  M